Yoga Asana, Pranayama & Meditation for Diabetes
Dr Savita Kalgaonkar
Ramamurthy nagar, Bengaluru Jul 22, 2017
Diabetes is perceived as the world's quickly developing constant condition. The quantity of individuals suffering from Type-2 diabetes is developing in every nation. In 2013, diabetes brought about 1.5 million deaths internationally. Higher blood glucose levels likewise brought about an extra 2.2 million deaths, by expanding the dangers of cardiovascular & different maladies.
On November 14th of every year, World Diabetes Day is celebrated. This day connects with a large number of individuals worldwide in diabetes support & mindfulness exercises in light of developing worries about the raising well-being risk that diabetes now poses all around.
In 2015, the seventh edition of the International Diabetes Federation's (IDF) Diabetes Atlas evaluated that:
- 1 in 11 grown-ups has diabetes which is around 415 million
- 12 % of worldwide well-being expense is spent on diabetes
- 1 in 7 births is influenced by gestational diabetes
- 75% of individuals with diabetes live in low & middle income nations
- 542 thousand youngsters have Type-1 diabetes
- 1 person die due to diabetes in every 6 seconds which is around 5 million deaths
By 2040, IDF assesses that:
- 1 in 10 grown-ups will have diabetes which is around 642 millions
Diabetes & Yoga
The art of yoga is an antiquated one. It is a rich legacy of our way of life. A few more established books specify the helpfulness of yoga in the treatment of specific illnesses & safeguarding the well-being of the people. The impact of yogic practices on the administration of diabetes has not been explored well. These studies were both long & short haul. These researches have affirmed the helpful part of yoga in the control of diabetes mellitus. Fasting & postprandial blood glucose levels decreased altogether.
There was a change in insulin affectability & decrease in insulin resistance. All these recommend that yogic practices have a part even in the counteractive action of diabetes. There is a valuable impact on the co- morbid conditions such as dyslipidemia & high blood pressure.
Yoga Asana are valuable for Diabetes & creates a stretch & twist in lower thoracic & upper lumbar area, where pancreas are found. These yoga asana are accepted to expand the blood supply, massages the organs, energize the cells & accordingly cause an expansion in the discharge of insulin & diminishes high glucose.
Few Yoga Practices for Diabetes:
Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutations:
Trikonasana or the triangle pose:
Padahastasana or hand under foot pose:
Vrikshasana or Tree posture:
Pavanmuktasana or wind- relieving pose:
Viparit Karani or legs up the wall pose:
Matsyasana or Fish pose:
Bhujangasana or the Cobra pose:
Dhanurasana or Bow posture:
Halasana or Plough Pose:
Mandukasana or Frog pose:
Vakrasana or Twisted pose:
Ardha Matsyendrasana or Half Twist Pose:
A couple of helpful Pranayama for Diabetics:
Pranayama makes the mind quiet & balances the connection between pancreas & pituitary gland. Pranayama helps in balancing diabetes in below mentioned ways:
- Nadi Shodhan pranayama –
- Bhasrika pranayama –
- Bharamari –
It is suggested to learn complete abdominal breathing, alternate nostril breathing, fast breathing, bandhas from a yoga master before practicing these pranayama.
Meditation is helpful for Diabetes patients
It is seen that anxiety & stress are the actual reason for diabetes & thusly the condition itself makes the patients more worried about it, which additionally disturbs the condition. Likewise diabetics lose confidence & quit playing it safe to monitor it as it is a deep rooted sickness. It has been observed that specific individuals long for additional for sweet things after they are determined to have diabetes. This is the place where meditation plays its part. It re-establishes certainty levels & enhances the self-control & offers power to battle the condition & live well.
Meditation is good for Diabetes
- Evidence proposes that Meditation can help in decreasing glucose levels by managing the sleep pattern, as rest is imperative for naturally recuperating of the body.
- Practicing Meditation helps in decreasing uneasiness & stress which is the primary reason of Type-2 diabetes.
- Practicing Meditation for short timeframe has been appeared to be related with expanded insulin affectability & bringing down of the glucose, hence diminishing the hazard elements of diabetes.
- Meditation supports the patients in accomplishing homeostasis, which is a balance in the body. It advances the ideal working of autonomic nervous system, endocrine system & other imperative procedures. Hence body accomplishes a cure.
- Studies have demonstrated that meditation can advance the direction of cortisol & different stress hormones.
- While practicing meditation the quantity of carbon dioxide disposal diminishes in extent to oxygen inhaled with no impact on respiratory quotient. Meditation produces internal homeostasis & lessens the stress levels.
- It advances mindfulness & expands individual's determination by educating discipline.
- It prompts better food options, as well as the food is processed & assimilated into the body in a more proficient manner.