- by Dr Deepali Wankhade
- 1 Shares
- Feb 21 2018
Why dental implants?
Due to tooth decay, injury or certain diseases many people suffer from tooth loss. Dental implants help deal with this loss by providing permanent or removable replacements. These implants are basically replacement tooth roots which provide the perfect, strong foundation for replacement teeth that take the place of the missing ones to give you a natural look.
What do they do?
A surgical procedure where metal frames are positioned into your jawbone after which replacement teeth are mounted on top of them. Since they are fused into the bone, they are stable and provide the right support for the new teeth which prevents slipping or shifting inside the mouth.
They are of two types:
- Endosteal implants: implanted directly into the jawbone and a post in connected to the implant after the gums heal. The artificial teeth are attached to these posts.
- Subperiosteal implants: the frame is fitted to the jawbone and it gets fixed as the gums heal. In this case he posts fitted protrude out through the gums to which artificial teeth are attached.
Advantages of dental implants
- They become permanent and give you an improved yet natural appearance
- No worries of teeth slipping off like in the case of loose dentures thus improving your speech
- They are more comfortable than dentures
- They make chewing easier and pain free unlike dentures which create inconvenience
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.