- by Dr Paramesh S
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
Why Cut Down on Sugar and How?
Everybody knows refined sugars are bad for health especially if you are diabetic. However, in the most general sense, there are many reasons why it’s best you cut down on your sugar intake.
- Fuels weight gain
- Fuels cancer cells
- Induces oxidative stress
- Impairs appetite regulation
- Impairs the functioning of white blood cells
- Primary contributor of type 2 diabetes as it spurs insulin resistance
It’s only the refined sugars that are bad for you, natural sugars found in fruits and honey are not as bad because apart from fructose these fruits provide beneficial antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and fibres.
Simple ways to cut down on sugar
- Quit processed foods as any of these packed foods that come in cans or boxes contain added sugars.
- Try homemade tomato sauce instead of the store bought ones as these contain large amounts of processed sugars.
- Pick fresh fruits or make your own fresh fruit juice instead of picking the bottled or packed juices that will have added sweetners.
- Go for plain yoghurt as the flavoured ones contain large amounts of sugar.
- Keep a check on your dessert intake
- Prepare a quota for yourself and stick to it to help you keep your sugar intake in check
- Try dark chocolate. Not only is it an alternative to regular chocolates that are loaded with sugar but it has many health benefits as well
- Skip all those aerated drink and sodas as they contain large amounts of refined sugar. If you’re feeling like a drink then pick soda water or lemon soda instead.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.