- by Dr Sahana K P
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
What you need to know about Spermicides?
Spermicides are chemical products which is a birth control method. They come in different forms like jelly or cream and works like a barrier against reproduction.
How do spermicides work?
These chemicals basically target the sperms and are designed to kill the sperms before they reach the uterus. However when used exclusively these spermicides aren’t very effective and are usually used in conjunction with other barrier methods. This includes diaphragms, cervical caps and condoms.
Pros and Cons
- When spermicides are combined with other barrier methods, together they are very effective and bring down the failure rate.
- No doctor appointments are required to obtain them
- They are easily available in drug stores
- They could cause allergic reactions
- Spermicides need to be inserted before engaging in intercourse every single time
- They must be put less that 20 minutes before intercourse for maximum effect
- They need to be used in conjunction with other barrier methods like cervical caps
- They do not protect you from any sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.