- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 4 Shares
- Dec 06 2017
What to eat to gain weight?
Being underweight can be as bad for health as being obese. Being underweight is defined as having a body mass index (BMI) below 18.5. Over 25 is considered overweight and over 30 is considered obese. Some people are naturally very skinny but still healthy. Being underweight does not necessarily mean that you have a health problem.
Being underweight is about 2-3 times as common girls and women. Being underweight was associated with a 50% greater risk of early death in men, and 100% in women. It can also impair immune function, raise the risk of infections, and lead to osteoporosis and fractures, and cause fertility problems. People also get affected to sarcopenia (age-related muscle wasting) and may be at greater risk of dementia.
- Eating disorders can cause anorexia nervosa, a serious weight mental loss.
- Having an overactive thyroid can boost metabolism and cause unhealthy weight loss.
- Having uncontrolled diabetes can lead to severe weight loss.
- Cancerous tumors often burn large amounts of calories and can cause someone to lose a lot of weight.
Healthy ways to gain weight
- Eat more calories than your body burns. A caloric surplus (calories in? calories out) is needed. Without it, you won’t gain.
- The single most important nutrient for gaining healthy weight is protein. During periods of overfeeding, a high protein diet causes many of the extra calories to be turned into muscle. If you are trying to gain weight, aims for 0.7- 1 grams of protein per pound of body weight (1.5-2.2 grams of protein per kg). High protein foods include meats, fish, eggs, many dairy products, legumes, nuts, and others.
- Eat plenty of high-carb and high-fat foods if weight gain is a priority for you. It is best to eat plenty of protein, fats, and carbs at each meal. Make sure to eat at least 3 meals per day, and try to add in energy-dense snacks whenever possible.
- Eat nuts, dried fruit, high-fat dairy product, fats and oils, grains, meat, tubers, dark chocolate, avocados, peanut butter, coconut milk, granola, trail mixes.
- In order to make sure that the excess calories go to muscles only instead of just fat cells, it is necessary to lift weights. Go to a gym and lift, 2-4 times per week. It is very important to lift heavy weights and improve your strength.
- Do not drink water before meals.
- Eat more often.
- Drink milk.
- Add cream to your coffee.
- Get quality sleep
- Eat proteins first and vegetables last
- Do not smoke
Changing your weight is a marathon, not a sprint. It can take a long time, as you need to be consistent if you want to succeed in the long run.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.