- by Dt Sheetal chhabria
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
What is Wheat Germ?
It is a part of a wheat kernel and is responsible for helping the plant reproduce and spawn new wheat. It is removed from most processed wheat products and it is a major nutritional component of whole grain wheat. It can be added to some granolas. Cereals, and cornbread, and it is also available raw. It is a popular topping for fruit pies, yogurt, ice cream, and hot or cold cereal. It is also available in liquid and gel cap form. It can be used as a food additive or as a nutritional supplement.
Benefits of Wheat Germ
- The oil found in wheat germ is rich in a form of vitamin E known as tocopherol, which acts as an antioxidant. It protects our body from free radicals.
- It prevents straining and constipation as it is rich in fiber.
- It maintains blood sugar levels as it has fiber in it.
- It keeps the immune system healthy.
- It is a nutrient-rich food, it is also calorie dense. It can lead to weight gain.
- It lowers the bad cholesterol levels to a great extent and increases the blood circulation which in turn, helps in keeping your heart healthy.
- It contains vitamin B, which helps in repairing tissue damage and in tissue growth.
- It has omega-3-fatty acids. Which is beneficial in lifting a mood.
- It prevents many types of birth defects like impotence and miscarriages. It is high in vitamin E.
- It is recommended for pregnant women as it is rich in folic acid.
- It has anti-aging properties.
- It is good for hair growth.
- Contains Gluten
- Could lead to weight gain
- Should be avoided by those with Wheat Allergies
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.