What is Trichomoniasis?
Medikoe Health Expert
Koramangala, bengaluru, karnataka, india, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
What Is Trichomoniasis?
It is defined as a very common sexually transmitted disease (STD).
It is caused by a protozoan parasite called Trichomonas vaginalis which passes from an infected person to an uninfected person during sex.
It can be cured and is very common in the United States. It is more common in women than in men. In women, the most commonly infected part of the body is the lower genital tract and in men urethra.
It generally doesn’t show any signs or symptoms but it can range from mild irritation to severe inflammation. Men may notice:
- Itching or irritation inside the penis
- Burning after urination or ejaculation
- Discharge from the penis
Women may notice:
- Itching, burning, redness or soreness of the genitals
- Discomfort with urination
- Change in vaginal discharge that can be clear, white, yellowish, or greenish with an unusual fishy smell.
It is diagnosed by its symptoms and doctor may recommend a laboratory test to diagnose trichomoniasis.
It can be treated with medication. People who have been treated for trichomoniasis can get it again.