- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 1 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
What is the Main cause of Indigestion?
It is also called as dyspepsia or an upset stomach. It is not a disease but a discomfort in the upper abdomen. It can be a symptom of another digestive disease.
- Indigestion is related to lifestyle and may be triggered by food, drink, or medication. The causes of indigestion include:
- Fatty, greasy spicy foods
- Caffeine, alcohol, chocolate or carbonated beverages
- Antibiotics, pain relievers and iron supplements
Sometimes it can be caused by other digestive conditions such as:
- Peptic ulcers
- Celiac disease
- Pancreas inflammation
- Stomach cancer
- Intestinal blockage
- Reduced blood flow to the intestine
- Early fullness during a meal
- Uncomfortable fullness after a meal
- Discomfort in the upper abdomen
- Burning in the upper abdomen
Doctor ask for health history and through a physical exam. It is fine if indigestion is mild and you are not expecting certain symptoms, such as weight loss and repeated vomiting. But if indigestion began suddenly and you are experiencing severe symptoms, the doctor may recommend:
- Laboratory tests
- Breath and stool tests
- Imaging tests
The doctor may recommend:
- Avoiding foods that trigger indigestion
- Eat small meals a day instead of three meals
- Reducing or eliminating the use of alcohol and caffeine
- Controlling stress and anxiety
If you are going through persistent indigestion, medications may help.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.