- by Bgs Gleneagles Global Hospitals
- 0 Shares
- Apr 05 2018
What is the cause of Sjogren's syndrome?- Dr. Prashanth Reddy
It is a disorder of immune system identified by its two most common symptoms, dry eyes, and a dry mouth. It can develop at any age, most people are older than 40 at the time of diagnosis.
The exact cause is not known but according to scientists, certain genes put people at higher risk of the disorder.
- Dry eyes: Eyes might burn, itch or feel gritty as if there’s sand in them.
- Dry mouth: Mouth feel like it is full of cotton, making it difficult to swallow or speak
- Joint pain, swelling, and stiffness
- Swollen salivary glands
- Skin rashes or dry skin
- Vaginal dryness
- Persistent dry cough
- Prolonged fatigue
Age: It is usually diagnosed in people older than 40
Sex: women are much more likely to Sjogren’s syndrome.
Rheumatic disease: It is common for people who have Sjogren’s syndrome to also have a rheumatic disease
It is difficult to diagnose because the signs and symptoms vary from person to person and can be similar to those caused by other diseases.
- Blood Tests
- Eye Tests
- Salivary scintigraphy
- Treatment depends on the parts of the body affected.
- Eye drops are prescribed for eye inflammation.
- Drugs are given to increase the production of saliva, and sometimes tears
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.