- by Dr Riddhi Sanghani
- 0 Shares
- Dec 21 2017
What is Shirodhara ?
It is an Ayurvedic therapy where herbal oil is warmed and poured continuously on the forehead. It is usually practiced in the morning or evening.
The procedure requires that you lie on the massage bed with your eyes closed and relax yourself.
- Shirodhara involves continuous pouring of about 2 litres of lukewarm oil on the forehead.
- The oil pours continuously like a stream in an oscillating manner on the forehead. The therapy lasts anywhere between 30-60 minutes depending on the requirement.
How does Shirodhara benefit?
The warm oil stimulates the hypothalamus which regulates functions on the glands, improves circulation and reduces stress hormone levels. It regulates the pituitary gland and induces sleep and stimulates vital points.
Shirodhara therapy benefits the mind and body in many ways:
- Relaxes the mind
- Fights insomnia and induces deep sleep
- Better concentration
- Reduces stress and anxiety levels
- Nourishes the hair and scalp
- Relieves chronic headaches
- Prevents depression
- Stimulates the brain
It is important to go to a professional Ayurvedic clinic and get the massage done in order to receive maximum benefits and prevent the oil from entering the eyes or ears.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.