- by Fitness Maniac
- 1 Shares
- Apr 07 2018
What is Runner’s knee and how to treat it?
Don’t go with the name, it is not something just experienced by a runner. Runner’s knee also known as patellofemoral pain syndrome is something that many athletes are familiar with. It is one of the most common knee problems.
The constant stress of any physical activity can cause a change in alignment and irritation to the area where the kneecap (patella) rests on the thighbone. This results in a sharp and sudden or dull and chronic pain which can disappear while running, only to return afterward.
3 Simple Home Remedies for Runner’s knee
1.Strengthen your muscles
- To avoid another episode of runner’s knee, add strengthening and stretching to your fitness routine.
- Lie down sideways where the affected leg touches the floor/mat.
- Now, raise your unaffected leg and place it over the other leg (your foot should be next to the affected knee).
- Tighten your thigh muscles of the affected leg and lift it up.
- Hold at this position for 5 seconds.
- Repeat this 10–20 times.
2.Consume Ginger or Turmeric
Ginger or turmeric is a natural alternative for pain relief. Both these herbs possess anti-inflammatory properties which can help you ease the pain. Studies suggests that they are found to be comparable in effectiveness to ibuprofen (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug).
Follow these steps for a soothing cup of ginger tea:
- Add grated ginger to water (2 cups).
- Boil it for 10 minutes.
- Strain this into a large mug and stir it with honey or a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Enjoy the drink!
3.Apply Ice Packs
Apply ice packs for temporary relief from pain.
- Wrap the ice pack with a piece of cloth.
- Apply this to your affected knee for about 15–20 minutes every 2–3 hours.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.