- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Dec 01 2017
WHAT IS IN VITRO FERTILIZATION?
In Vitro fertilization (IVF) is a type of assisted reproductive technology which helps couples who have trouble having a baby. IVF is an assistive technology process where fertilization is done manually. The eggs and semen are extracted and then manually combined in a laboratory after which this embryo is transferred to the uterus.
Who can use IVF?
Couples face difficulty in reproduction due to various reasons.
- Damaged or blocked fallopian tubes
- Low sperm count or motility
- Ovulation disorders or premature ovarian failure
- Other infertility disorders
- Genetic problems
IVF is like a form of treatment for these infertility treatments.
How does IVF work?
- Some medication is provided to enhance the woman’s fertility. The medicines stimulate egg production and multiple eggs are extracted because only some will develop. Ultrasound and blood test is taken to check the internal stability and favourability for embryo growth.
- The eggs are extracted through a minor surgery with the help of ultrasound imaging that guides the needle to the eggs. Medication is provided to remove any form of pain or discomfort.
- The male counterpart is asked to produce the semen sample after which the fertilization takes place.
- The fertilization takes place in a laboratory where the condition are made favourable for embryo formation. In some cases where the chances of fertilization is low, a single sperm is injected directly into the egg and kept in observation to ensure fertilization takes place.
- Following fertilization, in 4-5 days, the embryo is transferred into the uterus with the help of a small tube. Mild cramping might occur for some women and if the process is successful, the implantation occurs within about 10 days of transfer.
Side effects and risks of IVF
The woman is advised to take things a little easy after the procedure but can resume every day activities. Some common side effects of the medication and procedure:
- Mild cramping
- Discharge of clear or bloody fluid
- Tender breasts
- Bloating and constipation
- Mood swings
- Abdominal pain
- Fainting tendencies
However if you experience acute pains or bleeding please call your doctor immediately to prevent any complications.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.