- by Specialist Hospital
- 0 Shares
- Jan 13 2018
WHAT IS GOITRE?
The thyroid gland which is situated in the neck is responsible for secreting growth and metabolism regulating hormones. Goitre is a condition that enlarges the thyroid gland and causes swelling of the neck.
Causes and symptoms of goitre
There are a few factors that affect the thyroid gland:
- Lack of iodine is a major factor but is less prevalent in developed countries as most people consume iodised salt. Iodine is important as it is required for production of thyroid hormones
- The main cause is autoimmune disease where the body’s immune system attacks its own healthy cells leading to inflammation and swelling
- Hyperthyroidism- excessive thyroid hormone production
- Smoking, over consumption of iodine and hormonal imbalance are some other factors that affect the thyroid gland
Goitre is visible only in some cases while others require physical examination or tests. If it is a mild case sometimes there are no symptoms at all. Some of the possible symptoms include difficulty swallowing, coughs and breathing problems.
The treatment of goitre depends on how much the swelling is and the underlying cause behind it. Only in case of symptoms active treatment is provided else it relaxes on its own.
- If it is caused due to hypothyroidism, a synthetic thyroid hormone substitute is given. This thyroxine dosage is increased over a period of time until normal functions are restored
- In case of hyperthyroidism measures are taken to cut down hormone production with the help of certain drugs
- If the goitre is hampering breathing or swallowing then surgery is prescribed to reduce the swelling
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.