- by Bangalore Baptist Hospital
- 0 Shares
- Feb 21 2018
What is Giardiasis?
It is an infection of the small intestine which is caused by a microscopic parasite, Giardia lamblia. This parasite is found in animal and human feces and they also live in contaminated food, water, and soil, and can survive outside of the host for long periods of time. The most common way to get giardiasis is by drinking contaminated water. It also spread through personal contact.
- Greasy stools
- Loss of appetite
- Bloating and abdominal cramps
- Weight loss
- Excessive gas
- Stool sample test
Generally, it cleans up on its own. There are certain antibiotics which are used to treat giardiasis.
- Thoroughly wash your hands, especially your work in places where germs spread easily, such as day-care centres.
- Don’t swallow water if you go for swimming.
- Avoid drinking surface water, if it is not boiled, treated with iodine or filtered.
- If you engage in anal sex, use a condom every time.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.