- by Dr Reginald Varadarajulu Vsm
- 0 Shares
- Jun 14 2018
What is Fibromyalgia?
It is a condition which affects muscles and bones. It occurs more in women than in men. According to scientists, repeated nerve stimulation causes the brains of people with fibromyalgia to change. This change involves an abnormal increase in levels of certain chemicals in the brain that signal pain
The exact cause of fibromyalgia is not known but it may be because of certain genetic mutations, infections and it can also be triggered by a physical trauma.
A constant dull ache that has lasted for at least three months. Pain occurs on both sides of the body and above and below the waist.
- Memory and mood issues
- Tension headaches
- Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) disorders
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Dry eyes
- Abdominal pain
- Chest wall pain
- Pelvic pain
- Heart palpitations
- Weight gain
A fibromyalgia diagnosis can be made if a person has had widespread pain for more than three months with no underlying medical condition that could cause the pain. Following tests are done:
- Complete blood count
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate
- The cyclic citrullinated peptide test
- Rheumatoid factor
- Thyroid function tests
There are certain medications that can help reduce the pain of fibromyalgia sleep. Common medicines include pain relievers, antidepressants, and Anti-seizure drugs.
Several therapies are used to reduce the effect of fibromyalgia on your body and your life. Therapies include:
- Physical therapy: It improves your strength, flexibility, and stamina.
- Occupational Therapy: It helps you to make adjustments to your work area or the way you perform certain tasks.
- Counseling: It helps strengthen your belief in your abilities and teach you strategies for dealing with stressful situations.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.