- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Feb 13 2017
What is Balanitis?
Ouch! Inflammation at the end of the penis? Don’t worry, this is common amongst men. The medical term for this is Balanitis. Balanitis is a common problem that can occur in men at any age. It is said that circumcision plays an important role in Balanitis. Studies suggest that Balanitis is more common in uncircumcised men than circumcised men. Let us walk you through the cause, symptoms, and treatment of Balanitis.
What are the symptoms of balanitis?
The most common symptoms include:
- Redness at the end of the penis glans.
- Constant irritation of the glans.
- Thick clumpy discharge from under the foreskin.
- Small patches of redness confined to the skin surface of the glans.
- Painful swelling of the glans.
- Discomfort when passing urine.
- Any unpleasant smell from the privates.
- Tight foreskin that cannot be pulled back.
Causes and treatment approach for balanitis
The treatment and cause of balanitis are interdependent. Given below are few causes and how to tackle it:
This is the most common cause of balanitis, Candida the infectious yeast.
Application of an antifungal cream to the affected area.
2. Bacterial infection
Some bacteria can also cause Balanitis.
Doctors will prescribe an antibiotic orally or intravenously.
3. Allergic reaction
An allergic reaction can also trigger this condition.
- Prescribed mild steroid cream.
- Avoiding allergic agents like soap, detergents can also help in dialing down the symptoms.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.