- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
What is Appendix Cancer?
The appendix is a tube which is located near the large intestine and its purpose although unknown is believed to have something to do with immunity. When the healthy cells abnormally multiply, they become a tumor inside the appendix and are cancerous if they turn malignant.
Types of appendix cancers
- Colonic adenocarcinoma: similar to colon cancer and the most common type od appendix cancer.
- Mucinous adenocarcinoma: also called MAA and can be of two types, low and high grade.
- Goblet cell adenocarcinoma: a very rare cancer, it involves the presence of cells similar to the goblet cells present in the digestive tract.
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma: Another common type of appendix cancer, it is caused due to tumour formed by cells from the wall of the bowel
- Signet ring cell adenocarcinoma: It is the most aggressive type of appendix cancer which has high chances of spreading to other organs.
- Chronic abdomen pain
- Discomfort in the lower left abdomen
The most common treatment option is appendectomy, a surgery where the appendix is removed. In more advanced cases where the tumors are larger, there may be a need to operate on the colon as well and could include a need for chemotherapy.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.