- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
What Foods Can Diabetics Eat Freely
People with diabetes have nearly double the risk of heart disease and are at greater risk of developing mental health disorders such as depression. There are some tips by which you can still take pleasure of your meals without feeling hungry or deprived.
Losing just 5% to 10% of your total weight can help you lower your blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. By eating healthier, being more physically active, and losing weight, you can reduce your symptoms or even reverse diabetes.
Diabetic diet doesn’t have to be complicated and you don’t have to give up all your favorite foods.
- Healthy fats from nuts, olive oil, fish oils, flax seeds, or avocados.
- Fruits and vegetables
- High-fiber cereals and bread made from whole grains
- Fish and shellfish, organic chicken or turkey
- High-quality protein such as eggs, beans, low-fat dairy and unsweetened yogurt.
- Trans fats from partially hydrogenated or deep-fried foods.
- Packaged and fast foods, especially those high in sugar, baked goods, sweets, chips, desserts.
- White bread, sugary cereals, refined pasta or rice
- Processed meat and red meat
- Low-fat products that have replaced fat with added sugar, such as fat-free yogurt
- Choose high-fiber, slow-release carbs
Limit refined carbohydrates like white bread, pasta, and rice, as well as soda, candy, packaged meals, and snack foods. High glycemic index (GI) foods spike your blood sugar rapidly, while low GI foods have the least effect on blood sugar.
Choose carbs that are packed with fiber and don’t spike your blood sugar.
|Eat ||Don’t eat|
|White Rice||Brown Rice|
|White Potatoes||Sweet Potatoes|
|Regular Pasta||Whole-wheat Pasta|
|White Bread||Whole-wheat Bread|
|Sugary Breakfast Cereal||High-fiber, low-sugar cereal|
|Instant Oatmeal||Steel-cut or rolled oats|
|Cornflakes||Low-sugar bran flakes|
|Corn||Peas or Leafy Greens|
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.