- by Forgreen Foods
- 0 Shares
- May 02 2018
What are Phytochemicals?
Phytochemicals are compounds produced by plants, they are found in fruits, vegetables, beans, grains, and other plants. They are nutritional substances that produce many of the beneficial effects associated with a diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables, beans, and grains. They are also called as antioxidants, flavonoids, phytochemicals, flavones, isoflavones, catechins, anthocyanidins. Isothiocyanates, carotenoids, allyl sulfides, and polyphenols. The following are all phytochemicals:
Carotenoids, the pigments that make fruits and vegetable orange, red and yellow.
Thiocyanates, the smelly sulfur compounds that make you turn up your nose at the aroma of boiling cabbage.
Daidzein and genistein, hormone-like compounds in many fruits and vegetables
Vitamins are also phytochemicals which perform housekeeping chores in the body such as:
- Keep cells healthy
- Help prevent the formation of carcinogens
- Reduce cholesterol levels
- Help move food through the intestinal tract
Phytochemicals and their Benefits
- Beta-carotene: It is good for immune system, skin Health, and bone health. It is found in orange and dark, leafy green veggies such as pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, winter, squash, cantaloupe, apricots, spinach, collard, kale, and broccoli.
- Lycopene: It is good for prostate cancer and Heart Health. It is found in tomatoes, grapefruit, red peppers, watermelon.
- Lutein: It is good for eye Health, cancer and Heart Health. It is found in collard, kale, spinach, broccoli, Brussels, sprouts, lettuces, and artichokes. It is also found in the macula of the eye.
- Resveratrol: It is good for heart health, cancer, lung health, inflammation. It is found in red wine, peanuts, and grapes.
- Anthocyanidins: It is good blood vessel health and it is found in blueberries, blackberries, plums, cranberries, raspberries, red onions, red potatoes, red, radishes, and strawberries.
- Isoflavones: It is good for menopause, breast cancer, bone health, joint, inflammation, lower cholesterol and is found in soybeans.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.