- by Dr Chaithanya KS
- 0 Shares
- Feb 08 2018
Understanding Ayurvedic principles of the body
Under Ayurveda, it is believed that the body is governed by three principles- Vata, Pitta and Kapha doshas. To lead a balanced and healthy lifestyle, it is important to ensure your doshas are in balance.
The vata dosha is in charge of all movements that take place in both the mind and body. This includes blood flow, breathing, thoughts and elimination of waste products. Keeping Vata in balance is important as it is considered to be the leader of the three principles.
What does Vata govern?
- Prana- your senses, creativity, thinking and reasoning abilities
- Udana- Memory power, thought process and movements, voice quality
- Samana- movement of food through the tract during digestion
- Apana- menstrual cycle, sexual activities and waste elimination
- Vyana- sense of touch, blood flow, heart beats and perspiration.
This dosha governs all metabolic and transformational activities in the mind and body. The functions include digestion, metabolising sensory perception, heat/fires within the body and ability to differentiate between right and wrong.
What does Pitta govern?
- Alochaka- functioning of eyes
- Bhrajaka- healthy, glowing skin
- Sadhaka- desire, spirituality, decision making
- Pachaka- digestion and metabolism
- Ranjaka- healthy blood
The structure and lubrication of the mind and body is controlled by Kapha dosha. It is responsible for the control over weight, growth, tissue formation and lubrication of lungs and joints.
What does Kapha govern?
- Tarpaka- moisture content in the nose, eyes, mouth and brain
- Bhodaka- ability to taste
- Kledaka- keeping the stomach lining moisturised for digestion
- Avalambaka- strengthens and protects muscles, lungs and heart
- Shleshaka- soft skin and lubricated joints
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.