- by Dr. Ashok Kumar Selva
- 0 Shares
- Jul 27 2017
Tooth Decay or Tooth Rot
Tooth rot is a harm that happens when germs in your mouth make acids that destroy a tooth. It can prompt an opening in the tooth which is known as a cavity. If not treated properly then it can bring about infection, torment & even loss of tooth.
A tooth has 3 layers.
- The hard external layer which is called enamel.
- The center layer is called dentin.
- The focal point of the tooth is known as the pulp. It contains nerves & blood vessels.
The more layers that are influenced by rot, the more awful the harm.
Causes of Tooth Rot:
Micro-organisms or Bacteria & food can bring about tooth rot. A sticky substance which is known as plaque keeps forming on your teeth & gums. Plaque contains microbes that feast upon the sugars in the food you eat.
As the microbes feast, they produce acids. The acids assault the teeth for 20 minutes or more after you eat. After some time, these acids spoil tooth enamel which bring about tooth rot.
Things that make you more inclined to have tooth rot include:
- In case you don’t brush & floss your teeth consistently & don’t see a dental specialist for checkups & cleanings.
- If you eat lot of foods that are high in sugar & different starches which is a food for the microscopic organisms in your mouth.
- In case you are not getting enough fluoride. Fluoride anticipates tooth rot by making teeth more immune to acids created by plaque. Fluoride is added to numerous public water supplies.
- In case you don’t have enough salivation. Saliva washes away the food & unsafe sugars, so it shields your teeth from rot. A dry mouth might be brought about by xerostomia or Sjögren's disorder, by taking medications or by breathing through your mouth you can experience dry mouth issue.
- If you have diabetes.
- In case you Smoke, eat tobacco or breathing secondhand smoke.
The kids, whose teeth are as yet developing, are more probable than the grown-ups to have tooth rot. This is on the grounds that the minerals in new teeth are not exceptionally solid & are simpler for acids to destroy.
Indeed, even infants can be at hazard for tooth rot. Kids that are put to bed with a milk bottle can get tooth rot by the sugar in milk, juice etc. Children are not born with the bacteria that can cause a rot. However, they can get that from the grown-ups who share spoons, forks or different utensils with them.
Symptoms of Tooth Rot:
Tooth rot generally does not bring about any indications until you have an opening or a contaminated tooth. At the point when this happens, you may have:
- A toothache, which is the most widely recognized manifestation.
- Swelling in your gums close to a sore tooth. This can be an indication of serious tooth rot or an abscessed tooth.
- Bad breath or an awful taste in your mouth.
- White, brown, black or grey spots on your teeth.
In case you have a toothache, see a dental practitioner. At times the torment will go on its own; however the tooth rot will continue developing. In the event that you don't get treatment, your cavity could deteriorate & your tooth could die.
Analysis of Tooth Rot:
To analyze tooth rot, your dental specialist will:
- Inquire regarding your past dental & therapeutic issues & care.
- Check your teeth, utilizing a pointed instrument & a little mirror.
- Take X-ray of your teeth & mouth to discover tooth rot that cannot be seen with the eyes.
Treatment of Tooth Rot:
The best treatment for tooth rot relies on upon how serious it is. In case tooth rot is gotten on time, before an opening or a cavity builds, you might be able to stop it by brushing with fluoride toothpaste or getting fluoride medication or treatment. That is one justifiable reason to see your dental specialist regularly.
In the event that the rot has eaten through the enamel, you might require at least one of these treatments:
- A filling in case a cavity has shaped. After the rot is evacuated, the dental practitioner utilizes a material to fill the opening & re-establish the tooth to its actual shape.
- A crown in case the rot is extreme & your tooth is gravely harmed. A crown, or a cap is a man-made alternative for a tooth.
- A root canal or RCT if the pulp of your tooth is tainted. RCT evacuates the infected pulp of a tooth.
- Removal or extraction of the tooth in case the foundation of the tooth is extremely harmed. The dental specialist may supplant the tooth with an implant or a bridge.
In case you have agony & swelling, you can perform the following remedies to diminish it.
- Utilize ice or cold packs on the outside of your cheek for 10 - 15 minutes, a few times each day. Keep a thin cloth material between the ice & your skin always. Do not use heat.
Prevention of Tooth Rot:
You can prevent tooth rot by following these tips:
- Brush twice every day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Clean between your teeth everyday with floss.
- Eat nutritious & balanced diet & restrict snacking.
- Check with your dental specialist about the utilization of supplemental fluoride, which reinforces your teeth & about utilization of dental sealants (a plastic defensive covering) applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth where the rot mostly begins, to shield them from rot.
- Visit your dental specialist frequently for expert cleanings & oral examination.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.