- by Bangalore Baptist Hospital
- 0 Shares
- Dec 20 2017
Side effects of sleeping pills -Dr. Dominic Benjamin
Sleeping pills are the go to option for most people because it is the easiest way to overcome insomnia. But, people do not understand the long term effects it has on the body.
Why does sleeplessness occur?
There are many factors that affect your sleep cycle like caffeine consumption during the night, stress levels, nicotine, relationship problems and jobs that interfere with regular sleeping patterns. The severity of the effect the pills have on a person depends on the number, frequency and dosage of the pills taken.
What effects do these pills have?
- The pills seem to work initially but over a period of time, the body develops resistance to them when used regularly. After a point, they stop working and the person tends to consume higher doses which could result in an overdose.
- It could lead to parasomnia which leaves people in a semi-conscious state that makes them to sleep walk or do other activities that they do not remember in the morning.
- Many a times the people remain drowsy throughout the day which can be risky while driving and reduces efficiency at work.
- After a point people get addicted to the pills and cannot sleep without them. Later, medical intervention is required to deal with withdrawal symptoms.
- Some study shows that it increases acid reflux reactions.
- Research shows that people who consume these pills regularly have shorter lifespan and are more susceptible to cancer.
- Amongst the elderly, use of the pills for over 3 months makes them more vulnerable to memory loss/ degenerative disorders.
Try these alternatives
Why don’t you try these alternatives instead of risking these side effects. Yoga and meditation have helped many people overcome sleeplessness. A good warm bath, soothing music and aromatherapy are also easy ways to fall into a deep sleep.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.