- by Dt Shail Yadav
- 0 Shares
- Sep 04 2017
Remedies for water retention
Fluid or water retention occurs when the body cannot get rid of excess water.It may cause swelling in legs, ankels , feet & abdomen. It is mostly commonly caused by pre menstrual syndrome in women, too much salt in diet or by certain medication. Not drinking enough water can also be the reason. The less you drink the more you retain it. Or it could be a sign of serious illness like renal disease for which you will need medical intervention
Tips to reduce water retention:
- Have Plenty of water- One simple thing that you can start with is to have plenty of water during the day . Atleast 8 glasses of water. Have more during day & less in evenings.
- Have diuretic foods like beet roots, cabbage , cucumber, watermelon, carrots etc. Ginger tea also makes an excellent diuretic. Simply boil 2 cups of water add an inch of crushed ginger simmer till reduced to 1 cup. let it sit for 5 min .Strain & sip.
- Reduce your salt intake . An average indian consumes 9gm of salt where as WHO recommendations are of 5 gm . Excess salt causes water retention so gardually cut down on salt especially during evening & night. Also cut down on salty foods like pickles, chips, namkeens, salted peanuts & pop corns.
- Consume B vitamins- Vitamin B6 is known to reduce water retention related to PMS. Bananas, Brown rice, fish, Avocados, Spinach etc are good sources of B6. Vitamin B5 & B1 are found in milk & milk products & fresh fruits & vegetables. These are easily lost in cooking & preparations of foods. So taking a supplement is good idea.
- Increase the intake of Minerals- Magnesium, Potassium & Calcium also reduce water retention. Pottassium maintaines sodium balance in body. It is found in Bananas , white beans, coconut water, mushrooms. Magnesium in nuts & seeds like pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds etc are usually effective in PMS related retention. Milk & milk products are rich source of calcium.
- Excercise - Sweating during excercise removes excess water. Excercise improves blood circulations & also helps in maintaining hormonal balance.Thus reducing water retention.
- Keep your feet elevated if you are sitting continuously for hours
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.