Preeclamsia & Prematurity-Pregnancy by Dr Deepmala
Indiranagar, Bengaluru May 25, 2017
Pre – Eclampsia is a serious health problem affecting 5-8% of pregnancy worldwide
(8-10)% of pregnant women in India gets affected by it.
40% indicated or medically induced prematurity is caused by pre – Eclampsia and eclampsia in order to save life of mother and baby as delivery is the final option for this disease of placental origin.
Main indications of premature delivery are
- Fetal disease
- Intrauterine growth restriction
- Oligo hydramnios
- Placental abruption
- Abnormal blood to fetus or abnormal doppler study
Maternal indications :
- Recurrent eclampsia
- HELLP syndrome
- Liver hematoma
- Renal failure
- Hypertensive encephalopathy
- Pulmonary edema
Can pre-elcampsia, eclampsia and prematurity can be prevented?
To prevent disease from happening
- Avoid smoking and alcohol (It reduces disease by 30 – 40 %)
- Maintain healthy weight
- Avoid late marriage and late pregnancy
- Diet rich in antioxidant such as Vit C, Vit E,Magnesium,. Zinc and calcium if positive family history of hypertension pre-eclampsia and eclampsia
- Role of low dose of ecospirin is still no confirmed
- Medicines as such as Nifedipine, Labetalol, Hydralazsine
- Sodium nitro prusside sodium
Tertiary Prevention to avoid recurrence by Magnesium sulphate
The main culprit of Pre-Eclampsia and eclampsia is placenta, which provides nourishment for baby.
There is no 100% effective screening method to prevent it. So, final outcome depends on experienced and dedicated obstetrician for early diagnosis organized antenatal care and family decision of delivery.