Morning breath: causes and management
Dr. Sanjay Kaul
Koramangala, Bengaluru Apr 20, 2019
Waking up with a morning breath may be quite unpleasant and at times even embarrassing for most people. However, it is nothing to be ashamed of as most people suffer morning breath at some point in their life. Have you ever wondered what causes morning breath? Or what can be done to prevent it? Here is all you need to know about morning breath.
What causes morning breath?
There are various factors which can lead to the foul smell in the morning like:
- Dry mouth: saliva in the mouth is responsible for removing the bacteria in the mouth. The saliva production decreases significantly while sleeping leading to bad breath. Intake of certain food products or medications may further affect the saliva production and increase the damage.
- Poor hygiene: another common cause of morning breath is poor dental hygiene. Food gets stuck in between the teeth while eating, and if the teeth are not brushed regularly, bacteria may act upon these food items and break it, releasing foul smell in the process.
- Intake of tobacco either in the form of chewing or smoking can both lead to morning breath.
- People with disorders like GERD may also experience morning breath.
- Sometimes, allergies can also lead to bad breath as mucus at the back of the throat becomes a food source for the bacteria.
- Presence of pus (a dental abscess) in the mouth can also result in a foul breath.
Management and treatment:
Some of the most common ways to treat morning breath are:
- Dental hygiene: the most important and effective way to tackle bad breath is by brushing and flossing regularly. Your dentist may also recommend a mouthwash for more assistance.
- If you wear some orthodontic gear, clean it daily without fail.
- Giving up smoking and tobacco use also has a great impact on the management of bad breath.
- Sugar-free gums may further aid in the treatment of bad breath.
- Drinking lots of water, especially before going to bed also helps in bad breath management.
Looking for health experts near you? Medikoe is an online platform that enables you to connect to the best doctors around you. Have a health-related query? Post it on Medikoe and get it answered by health experts within 24 hours.