- by Medikoe Food n Health Expert
- 1 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
Meditation: Technique and Benefits
The word meditation is originated from two Latin words, “meditari” which means to think and “mederi” which means to heal. Meditation implies an end of the thought process. It describes a state of consciousness when the mind is free of scattered thoughts. It is an approach to train the brain.
Meditation is an ancient tradition, but it is still practiced in cultures all over the world to create a sense of calm and inner harmony. Meditation is increasing in popularity these days, with the greater need to reduce stress in the midst of our busy schedules and demanding lives.
Want are the Types of Meditation?
- Mindfulness Meditation: It is the most popular meditation technique in the west, and it originates from Buddhist teachings. In this people pay attention to their thoughts as they pass through their mind. This practice combines concentration with awareness. People may find it helpful to focus on an object or your breath while they observe any bodily sensations, thoughts, or feelings.
- Spiritual Meditation: It is used in Eastern Religions, such as Hinduism, Daoism, and Christian Faith. It can be practiced at home or in a place of worship as it is similar to prayer in that you reflect on the silence around you and seek a deeper connection with God. The essential oils used to intensify the spiritual experience are frankincense, myrrh, sage, cedar, sandalwood, and palo santo.
- Focused Meditation: It involves concentration using any of the five senses. For example, you can focus on something internal, like your breath or something external, like counting mala beads, listening to a gong, or staring at a candle flame.
- Movement Meditation: It is an active form of meditation where the movement guides you. It is good for people who find peace in action and prefer to let their minds wander.
- Mantra Meditation: This practice uses a repetitive sound to clear the mind. It can be word, phrase, or music, such as the popular “Om.” After chanting a mantra for some time, you will be more alert and in tune with your environment. This is a good practice for people who don’t like silence and enjoy repetition.
- Transcendental Meditation: It is the most popular type of meditation around the world. It uses a mantra or series of words that are specific to each practitioner.
How to start with your medication Meditation?
Sit quietly and focus on your breath. You should sit in meditation for 20 minutes every day if you are too busy otherwise sit for an hour.
What are the Benefits of Meditation?
1. Peace of mind
Meditation offers you peace of mind, and balance which will help you in stabilizing mental, emotional well being and helps in keeping you healthy. This does not give up when your meditation session ends. It will help to improve your day and the medical condition.
The main emotional benefits of meditation are:
- Gain of Self-awareness
- Focusing on present life
- It reduces anxiety
- Fights depression
- Reduces the negative thoughts and emotions
- Will build skills that will manage your stress
2. Brain cells growth
A Study in the Brain Structure & Function According (done in 2013) revealed that at least 2 hours of quietness a day results in the production of the brain cells. It’s the brain’s way of preparing for upcoming mental challenges. Therefore, try meditating at least 2 hours a day.
3. Fights dementia
Meditation every day reduces the risk of dementia caused by brain cell damage since meditation enhances the growth of new cells.
4. Improves heart health
Meditating every day can help in reducing the risk factors for heart disease by lowering the blood pressure and heart rate and improving blood circulation.
5. Fights insomnia
Silence is the key to sound sleep and meditation enhances the relaxation response and improves mood so that you get a good night sleep.
6. Calms the nervous system
Meditative exercises calm the nervous system and contribute to a healthier rest and a happier life.
7. Fights addiction
Self-control and awareness which are the two keys of keeping addiction away can be enhanced with the help of medication. These two mental disciplines can be developed through meditation and can help you fight addiction.
8. Controls pain
Pain is caused due to an activity in the brain center. Meditation is shown to control the increased activity in the brain centers that can help in managing the pain.
9. Weight loss
Meditation helps in making your thoughts and actions aware which includes the ones related to food and aids in weight loss.
10. Creates a positive attitude
Meditation increases positive vibes, feelings, and actions toward yourself and others and creates a positive environment and attitude.
Don’t be afraid, step out of your comfort zone and try these different types of meditation practices if you are looking to reduce stress, find spiritual enlightenment, find stillness, flow through movement, there is a meditation practice for you.
If you have any questions and want to consult an expert, find an experienced and certified specialist near you on Medikoe.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.