- by Simarouba Yoga and Naturopathy Clinic
- 0 Shares
- Feb 13 2017
Massage for Body and Mind
Massage therapy is defined as the manipulation of soft tissue of whole body areas to bring about generalized improvement in health (e.g. relaxation or improved sleep) or specific physical benefits (e.g. relief of muscular ache and pain).
Types of Massages
Typically the following kind of Massages are offered in a Spa setting:
Swedish massage - This massage is almost synonymous with Massage Therapy and is most Close to Naturopathy Massage. Has many relaxation benefits.
Deep tissue massage - Deep tissue massage is a focused, therapeutic massage that targets muscle knots and specific problem areas in the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue.
Shiatsu massage - shiatsu involves localized pressure using the therapist's fingers (or sometimes hands and elbows), applied in a rhythmic sequence along the body. Each point is held for about two to eight seconds.
Trigger point massage - A trigger point is a tight area within muscle tissue that causes pain in other parts of the body. Trigger Point Therapy is specifically designed to alleviate the source of the pain through cycles of isolated pressure and release.
Thai massage - A unique blend of assisted yoga, passive stretching, and pressing massage movements, Thai massage is more energizing than other forms of massage. It's like yoga without doing the work, as the therapist moves and stretches you in a sequence of postures, usually on a mat on the floor.
Hot stone massage - A type of massage where the therapist places heated, smooth stones on specific points on the body and also holds the warm stones while giving the message.
Sports massage - Designed to prevent and treat injuries, improve flexibility, and enhance athletic performance, sports massage can be used by athletes of all abilities to prepare for or recover from athletic or sports events. Even if you aren't an athlete, sports massage may help muscle pain or restricted range of motion.
Customised Massages for Specific Conditions
The following kind of Massages are offered in a Therapeutic Setting where the normal Swedish or Deep Tissue Massage will be customized to provide benefits in specific medical conditions:
- Lymphatic Drainage Massage - for treatment of lymphedema, an accumulation of fluid that can occur after lymph nodes are removed during surgery, most often a mastectomy for breast cancer.
- Fibromyalgia Massage - Massage to improve circulation in the muscles, which increases the flow of nutrients and eliminates waste products. This is particularly beneficial for those with fibromyalgia as it can reduce heart rate, relax muscles, improve range of motion in joints and increase production of the body's natural painkillers.
- Powder Massage for Weight Reduction - This massage involves upward stroking, where the powder is rubbed forcibly on the body. This massage liquefies the fat, stabilizes the body parts and is best to improve the complexion of the skin.
- Pre and Post Natal Massage - Pregnancy massage can include anything from a full body Swedish massage to light massage work that might include other modalities such as circulatory work, reflexology or cranial sacral therapy
- Infant Massage - Infant Massage promotes circulation and provides deep rest to the newborn child. The deep rest promotes the healing process and builds an immune system.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.