- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
Latex allergy is a reaction from the proteins present in natural rubber latex. Your immune system identifies latex as a harmful substance or a foreign invader, thereby, triggering antibodies (allergens) to counter it. The next time you are exposed to latex, these antibodies will make your immune system release histamine into your bloodstream, producing allergic reactions.
Latex allergy can take place in two ways:
- Direct contact: Touching latex-containing products such as latex gloves, condoms and balloons.
- Inhalation: Inhaling airborne latex particles.
Some common products that contain latex and should be avoided are:
- Rubber toys
- Dishwashing gloves
- Hives or rashes
- Itchy or watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Difficulty breathing
There is no cure for latex allergy but medications are available to reduce the symptoms and provide relief. The only way to avoid contacting an allergy is to stay away from the source of the allergy. It is best to carry your emergency medications and an epinephrine to control your reaction after exposure to latex and relieve the pain.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.