- by Dr Azeemulla H R
- 3 Shares
- Nov 15 2017
IS YOUR DOG LOSING HAIR?
It is common for dogs to lose a little hair everyday but if it increases drastically and the volume is too much and if bald spots begin to appear, there might be a bigger problem.
Possible causes for hair fall
- Mites cause a condition called mange which results in patchy hair loss and makes your dog itch excessively
- It could be a result of excessive licking that damages hair follicles or due to reaction to an injury
- Dogs can also be allergic to certain foods and products or fleas and certain chemicals could cause an allergic reaction that increases hair fall.
- Hair fall can also be a result of infections like ringworm or due to hormonal imbalance
How is excessive hair fall treated?
The first and most important thing is to take your dog to the vet. A thorough examination by the doctor will help find out the cause behind the problem and provide treatment accordingly.
- The doctor may prescribe a course of antibiotics if there are any infections contributing towards hair loss
- If it’s a certain kind of food, then you will be advised to make changes in your dog’s diet.
- For hormonal issues, supplements are prescribed to balance the levels
- Itchy skin, dryness and excessive licking are tackled by using specific medicinal shampoos and sprays
Consult a Vet to help your pooch maintain healthy fur.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.