- by Dr A Chakravarthy
- 0 Shares
- Aug 21 2017
How to get rid of vaginal odor?
Vaginal odor is a common problem and you need not have to be too much worried about it. However, if vaginal odor is strong or offensive, it could be because of other infections in body.
One of the study revealed that the most common cause of bad vaginal odor is presence of bacterial infection termed as bacterial vaginosis. The bacteria are present in it; when these bacteria multiply rapidly, it results into infection in vagina. So, if you feel any strong odor coming from your vagina, get yourself checked for bacterial infection immediately. If the odor coming from the vagina is offensive without showing any signs of infection then woman can try out the following simple home remedies to get rid of vaginal odor.
Home remedies for bad vaginal odor
- First and foremost to get rid of bad vaginal odor, keep the area clean all the times. Wash vagina with lukewarm water and a very mild soap at least thrice a day. Also, you can buy medicated washes which are easily available in markets prepared especially for cleaning the vagina. These washes are formulated to maintain the pH- balance of the vagina. They in no way disturb the environment of the vagina.
- Do not douche for cleaning the vagina. Medically, douching should be avoided for cleaning vagina as it forces the bacteria to move into the uterus which further leads to PID (Pelvic inflammatory disease). Avoid using any cosmetic soaps, oils or bubble baths to clean the genital area as they can cause irritation or infection. Some women like to spray perfumes in their vagina but this should not be done as these fragranced products have strong chemicals that can cause irritation.
- Always wear loose undergarments preferable made from cotton. Avoid wearing undergarments made from nylon and satin as these fabrics do not allow skin to perspire and thus causes foul smell in your genitals. On the other hand, cotton is made from natural fiber and keeps skin sweat-free by allowing it to breathe freely. If you still suffer from vaginal sweating, sprinkle some cornstarch powder inside your underwear every couple of hours as it absorbs the excess sweat from it.
- Wear undergarments of your size. If you wear smaller size, it will cause irritation on skin which will further lead to infection giving out foul smell from your genitals.
- During the time of periods, some amount of smell which comes out from vagina is considered okay but you can also arrest this odor by changing your pads or tampons frequently. Regular changing of pads help in maintaining a good vaginal hygiene. You can also use baby wipes to clean the area during menstruation as baby wipes are soft in nature without containing any harmful chemicals. You can also pour few drops of rose hip essential oil on the back side of your pad to control the menstrual odor.
- If vaginal odor is coming because of some yeast infection, make sure you get it treated as early as possible.
- Make sure you trim your pubic hair or go for a bikini wax regularly. Even sweat and urine caught in the pubic hair causes foul smell.
- If the vaginal discharge causes vaginal odor, make sure you use panty liners. Change panty liners frequently to keep your underwear from soiling. Keep in mind that soiled and wet underwear can give out unpleasant smells. So, keep your underwear always clean by changing the panty liners regularly.
- Wash your undergarments properly. Avoid repeating the same underwear without washing them first. Soak the underwear in hot water and mild detergent for 20 minutes. Hot water will effectively kill the bacteria trapped in the fiber of undergarments. Then rinse off properly so that all the traces of detergent gets washed off completely otherwise you’ll end up catching another infection in your genitals.
- If you sweat too much, make sure you change your underwear at least twice a day. Dry the vaginal area using soft towel or by hair dryer set at ‘cool’ medium. Remember that any hint of moisture in your vagina can be a breeding ground for bacteria and they can cause an infection. So it’s best to keep vaginal area dry all the times.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.