How Do You Stop Sleepwalking?
Medikoe Health Expert
Koramangala, bengaluru, karnataka, india, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
It is a behavior disorder that originates during deep sleep and results in walking or performing other complex behaviors while asleep and it is also known as somnambulism. It is most common in children than adults. It usually happens when a person is going from the deep stage of sleep to a lighter stage or into the awake state.
Sleepwalking can run in the family. Identical twins are more likely to sleepwalk. You might also have the disorder if you are:
- Sleep Deprived
- On a chaotic sleep schedule
- Taking drugs such as sedative-hypnotics
- Night-time asthma
- Restless leg syndrome
Any examination or testing is not needed. The healthcare provider may do an exam or tests to rule out other disorders such as seizures.
Any specific treatment is not needed for sleepwalking. In some cases. Medicines such as short-acting tranquillizers are helpful in reducing sleepwalking episodes.
It can be prevented by the following:
- Do not use alcohol or anti-depressant medicines if you sleepwalk
- Insomnia and sleep deprivation because these can trigger sleepwalking
- Avoid or minimize stress, anxiety, and conflict, which can worsen the condition