- by Dr. Kalpana Raje
- 0 Shares
- Mar 31 2018
How Do I Get Rid of Bad Breath?
Bad Breath is also as halitosis or fetor oris. It affects 1 in 4 people globally and it the third most common reason that people seek dental care, after tooth decay and gum disease.
- Tobacco products cause their own types of mouth odor.
- The breakdown of food particles stuck in the teeth can cause odors.
- Dry mouth due to a specific disease can develop the odor.
- Fasting and low-carbohydrate eating programs can produce halitosis.
- Certain drugs can also produce bad odor as they reduce saliva.
- It can be caused if they have a foreign body lodged in their nasal cavity.
The dentist will simply smell a breath of a person and rate the odor on a six-point intensity scale. There are the so many type of detectors that can rate odor more precisely such as:
- Halimeter: This detects low levels of sulfur.
- Gas chromatography: It measures hydrogen sulfide, methyl mercaptan, and dimethyl sulfide.
- BANA test: It measures levels of a specific enzyme produced by halitosis-causing bacteria.
- Beta-galactosidase test: It measures a level of beta-galactosidase.
The best method to reduce halitosis is good oral hygiene. Visit the dentist for a check-up and cleaning twice a year. The dentist may recommend a toothpaste that includes an antibacterial agent or an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Flossing reduces the build-up of food particles and plaque from between the teeth.
- Clean your dentures, it will prevent the bacteria from building up and being transferred into the mouth.
- Use the tongue scraper to clean tongue daily.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dry mouth.
- Reduce coffee and alcohol consumption and avoid onions, garlic, and spicy food.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.