- by Dr Paramesh S
- 0 Shares
- Mar 23 2017
How are diabetic neuropathies treated
It is defined as the disorder of nerves apart from the brain and spinal cord. It includes different nerve types including motor, sensory and autonomic nerves. It can also be characterized by the size of the nerve fibers involved, large or smell.
There are many possible causes of peripheral neuropathy, including:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Vitamin B12 and folate deficiency
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Inherited disorders
- Exposure to toxins, such as heavy metals, gold compounds, lead, arsenic
- Cancer therapy drugs
Peripheral neuropathy affects the nerve sensation. As a result, it develops pain, burning, or tingling in the distribution of the affected nerves. It can cause tingling, numbness, and burning in the toes or fingers.
- A doctor will check your medical history and perform a physical examination.
- Vibration and monofilament tests are done to diagnose large fiber peripheral neuropathy seen with diabetes.
- Blood test to check exposure to toxins,
- Skin biopsies
- Quantitative Sudomotor Axon Reflex Testing (QSART)
- Treatment of peripheral neuropathy depends on its cause. Vitamin deficiencies can be corrected and diabetes can be controlled.
- Neuropathy caused by nerve entrapment can be treated by physical therapy, injections, or surgery.
- The pain of the neuropathy can usually be controlled with over the counter medications and anti-seizure medications.
- Research is going into treatments for peripheral neuropathy, ranging from evaluating the effectiveness of topical gels to bone marrow treatments.
Avoiding alcohol toxicity, getting shingles vaccinations, avoiding heavy metal toxicity, and treating diabetes can help prevent the development of peripheral neuropathy.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.