- by Dr Spurthi S Magdum
- 2 Shares
- Feb 02 2018
HOME REMEDIES TO FIGHT GREY HAIR
Grey hair is an area that raises concerns amongst many young adults today as it adds to their age and reduces the young appeal. Melanin is the substance that provides the natural pigmentation to the hair. Premature greying of hair is a sign of lack of melanin in the body as the body gradually stops producing melanin only with age.
What are the reasons for premature greying?
Genetics and heredity is a factor that causes premature greying. This is one factor that cannot be altered but, there are many other factors that affect the body that can be controlled:
- Smoking and pollution
- Hormonal imbalance
- Lack of nutrition and balanced diet
- Chronic stress
- Use of hair colorants and other chemical products
- Certain diseases like thyroid disorders
How to tackle grey hair?
Trying to cover up the grey strands with hair colour is not a solution and will only damage the hair further as it causes thinning, hair fall and spilt ends. Tackling the problem at the root is a much better solution as people have seen a difference:
- Having a nutritious diet
- Vitamin B12 and iron supplements
- Amla(Indian Gooseberry): Consuming the fruit or application of amla on the head can help a great deal. A combination of amla with coconut oil, almond oil or lemon juice; applying these any of these mixtures on the scalp regularly, reduces grey hair and promotes healthy hair growth.
- Curry leaves with coconut oil help in increasing hair pigmentation. Boil the leaves in coconut oil and strain the content. Massage this oil on the scalp twice a week for about an hour.
- Henna (Mehendi) is the best natural hair colorant that works wonders not just by darkening the strands but, it also strengthens and conditions the hair. Henna can be directly applied as a ground paste or after boiling with oil or mixing with black coffee.
- Coconut oil is an absolutely magical substance whose importance can never be overstated. It works wonders as it stimulates hair growth and moisturises the hair. It is packed with antioxidants and can help reverse greying if used regularly for a long period.
- Tea is another substance that can be used as a natural colorant. Dip about 4-5 tea bags in boiling water and once the water is cooled, apply it to wetted hair and for long hours to see best results. Similar procedure can be tried with coffee for coloring grey strands.
Give these natural remedies a try for natural, damage free locks.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.