Home remedies for period pain
Dr Chaitra Hegde
New thippasandra, Bengaluru Feb 17, 2018
Cramping, back pain and heavy bleeding, that time of the month is definitely a tough task. Try these home remedies to ease your period pains and cramps.
- Sesame oil: Traditionally used in the Ayurvedic Abhyanga treatment. Sesame oil contains linoleic acid which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that bring relief when massaged on the lower abdomen during menstruation.
- Fenugreek: Soak up some seeds in water overnight and drink it up for reduced pain during periods.
- Heat packs: Using heating pads or a simple hot water bottle can be extremely comforting. Place the bottle on your lower abdomen and the heat helps relax the uterus muscles. Even sipping on warm fluids and taking a nice warm bath helps you feel more relaxed.
- Tea: Sipping on some tea containing dried ginger and black pepper helps reduce period pain. Make it a herbal tea, add some sugar for taste but skip the milk.
- Cumin seeds: Munch on a handful or prepare a herbal tea made of cumin seeds to reduce period pains as it has a relaxing effects and its anti-spasmodic properties get rid of cramps as well.
- Lemons: Lemon juice has an alkalizing effect which keeps you hydrated.
- Exercise: Practicing some form of physical exercises, yoga and breathing techniques like pranayama helps in de-stressing, relaxes the body and releases feel good hormones called endorphins.
- Diet: Eat a high fibre diet and include leafy greens and fresh fruits to provide the body with essentials which help prevent fatigue and mood swings.