- by Dr. Sunil Dwivedi
- 0 Shares
- Feb 28 2018
Heart healthy diet
A few changes in your food intake can be highly beneficial for your heart. Healthy foods help you recover better faster and reduce your risk of heart problems in the future as well.
What to eat
- High omega-3s containing fish like salmon and tuna
- Healthy nuts like almonds and walnuts
- Heart healthy berries rich in phytonutrients and fibre- strawberries, cranberries and raspberries
- Ground or milled flaxseeds
- Packed with nutrients, oatmeal is good for the heart
- Fresh vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, asparagus, spinach, tomatoes and broccoli provide beneficial vitamins, fibre, minerals and folate
- Fruits like oranges and papaya are packed with beta-carotene, fibre and minerals
- Whole grain foods and beans
What not to eat
- Take away foods like pizzas, burgers and chips
- Limit salt intake
- Avoid artificial sweeteners found in drinks and pick low fat milk and yoghurt
- Cut down on saturated and trans fats found in friend and baked foods
- Avoid high fat and high cholesterol foods like meat, eggs and butter and cheese
- Pick healthy oils like olive or sunflower and avoid coconut oil
An exercise routine is equally important for a healthy heart. But, if you are a heart patient do not exert yourself and only exercise after consulting your doctor.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.