- by Dr. Sunil Dwivedi
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2018
Healthy foods that lower cholesterol
High cholesterol levels pose a host of threats that could be life threatening for the individual. Here are some foods that help lower harmful LDL levels that are bad for your system as they cause conditions like atherosclerosis.
- Oatmeal or cereals like cheerios for breakfast is a good source of soluble fibre. Adding bananas or strawberries provides additional fibre.
- Barley and other whole grains are also a good source of soluble fibres which prevent risk of heart diseases.
- Beans are a rich source of fibre and is additionally good for weight loss diet as well because it takes time to digest, keeping you full for longer hours. There are so many choices available from kidney beans to lentils and can be prepared in different ways so that they appeal to your taste buds as well.
- Okra and eggplant are not just good in soluble fibre but are low in calories as well.
- Nuts like almonds, walnuts and peanuts are said to be good for your heart as they lower LDL levels and have nutrient content that aids in protecting the heart.
- Replacing other oils and ingredients like butter with vegetable oils like sunflower or canola helps lower LDL.
- Fruits rich in pectin like apples, strawberries and citrus fruits also lowers LDL as they have soluble fibres.
- Soybeans and derived products like tofu and soy milk are a good source of soy protein which is effecting in lowering cholesterol.
- Replacing meat and consuming fish 2-3 times a week instead reduces LDL as it is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which also prevents abnormal heart rates.
- Taking fibre supplements isn’t very effective but you can try for those 4-5g of soluble fibre.
PS: while having fruits and nuts maintain total calories intake because many of them are high calorie food. Also some people can be allergic to soya so one needs to be careful .It is best to consult your health care provider before you make any changes to your diet in case of any health issue.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.