- by Dr Sheetal Bhatia
- 3 Shares
- Feb 05 2018
Health benefits of onions
Onions are a common ingredient in everyday food items. This vegetable not just adds to the taste of foods but has many health benefits as well:
- Raw onions are good to keep bad cholesterol in check. It lowers LDL levels and keeps the heart healthy.
- It helps in building immunity as it has high levels of vitamin C and phytochemicals.
- Keeping a piece of onion below the nostril helps stop nose bleeding.
- The chromium present in onions helps in regulating blood sugar levels.
- A compound called Quercetin present in onions helps prevent cancer.
- Onions have a good folate content which prevents depression, improves sleep patterns and appetite.
- The fibre and insulin in onions promotes healthy digestion. The insulin is a good source of food for the beneficial bacteria in the intestines.
- Including onions in the diet provides relief from respiratory ailments like asthma.
- The sulphur content in onions helps in improving eye health as it promotes glutathione synthesis which is a protein that reduces the risk of cataract, glaucoma etc.
- The juice extracted from a warmed onion can help relieve ear pain and infections.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.