- by Soul kshetra Wellness Clinic
- 0 Shares
- Apr 20 2018
Health Benefits of Dates
From thousands of years ago, dates were known to have healing powers. Cuisines across the world use dates in small and large quantities, but it is also important to note that the fruit of the date palm tree also comes with a lot of health benefits.
They are a good source of various vitamins and minerals, energy, sugar, and fibre. It also contains calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and zinc.
It is called as khajoor in Hindi, kharjuramu in Telugu, pericham pazham in Tamil, Eenthapazham in Malayalam, kharjoora in Kannada, Khejoor in Bengali, Khajur in Gujrati and kharik in Marathi. Scientifically called Phoenix dactylifera, the date fruit is believed to have originated in Iraq.
Types of Dates Fruit
Medijool: Has its origins in Morocco and has a toffee like a flavour.
Barhi: It is also called yellow dates, this variety is native to Iraq. They are gentle and have thicker flesh.
Dayri: These dates are lengthy, slim, and black.
Hayani: Grown in Egypt, these dates are gentle and red to black.
Migraf: Popular in southern Yemen, these dates are large and golden amber.
Iteema: These are native to Algeria, and are extremely sweet. Big and oblong.
Out of all these, Medjool is supposed to be the most delicious and nutritious variety.
Benefits of Dates
- It has soluble fibre which is essential for good digestive health because it draws water into the digestive tract.
- It helps in relieving constipation.
- It can also treat upset stomachs and diarrhoea.
- It prevents anaemia.
- It boosts energy as it is filled with natural sugars.
- It reduces stroke risk and it can lower LDL cholesterol.
- It prevents bone-related conditions like osteoporosis.
- It protects against oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain.
- It promotes hair growth.
- It promotes weight growth.
- It affects the ear, nose, and throat.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.