- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Feb 13 2017
A condition where there gums around the teeth fade away or recede, exposing more of the tooth surface is gum recession. Why do gums recede?
- Periodontal diseases cause gum recession as the bacteria infect the mouth, destroying gum tissue and the bones that support the teeth. This gum disease is the main reason for receding gums.
- This condition is genetic, so if your parents have this condition then chances are you are more susceptible and may already be predisposed to gum recession.
- Poor oral hygiene
- Excess and aggressive tooth brushing can wear away the gums
- Hormonal changes like during pregnancy or puberty
What effect does gum recession have?
When there is a receding gum line, because the gum pulls away it exposes more of the tooth surface. This recession forms gaps or pockets between the gums and teeth making the area more prone to infections due to bacterial build up.
If the bacteria is allowed to accumulate, they begin to affect the gum tissues and gradual eat into the supporting bone as well causing significant damage, leading to tooth loss.
Symptoms of gum problems and what to do
Although a very gradual process, there are a few symptoms that indicate gum recession
- Tooth sensitivity
- A tooth beginning to look longer
- Notch like feeling along the gum line
You can prevent this condition by
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Maintaining a good, regular oral hygiene routine
- Quit smoking if you do as it is a major contributor
In case you have gum recession, it is highly recommended that you visit your dentist and treat the condition before it causes serious damage
- Mild gum recession is treated usually with deep cleaning to get rid of the plaque build-up inside the mouth and the exposed roots are smoothened to protect it from bacteria
- In more serious cases, gum surgery might be required to repair the damage caused. This includes procedures like regeneration of damaged/lost bone, scaling of gum tissue and grafting.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.