- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Feb 28 2018
Epilepsy and Ayurveda
It is known as “Apasmara” in Ayurveda. It is a condition where transient loss of consciousness is found for a certain period of time which may last from few seconds to few minutes. It happens because of abnormal electrical activity and may become unconscious or very confused.
There are several factors which can result in epilepsy, it can be genetic, structural or metabolic. However, the cause of seizure remains unknown in almost 60% cases. In Ayurveda, the convulsions are caused due to an imbalance of the Vata dosha and the loss of consciousness in terms of doshic influence can be attributed to Pitta Dosha. When one loses consciousness soon after seeing the colors red, blue and black and also recovers quickly, this I considered sign of Vata disturbance. Pitta disturbance happens if someone loses consciousness after seeing the colors light or dark red or yellow and recovering with heavy sweating.
- Sudden jerks in arms
- Body ache
- Strange feeling
- Sudden blackout & fainting
- Twitching or trembling of muscles
Types of Epilepsy
Vataj: The primary dosha is Vata. It last for short time, increased respiratory rate, more secretion of foam from the mouth and abnormal body movements.
Pittaj: The primary dosha is pitta. It shows yellowish or reddish tint on the body, lots of sweating, gnashing of teeth, the foam from the mouth is also of a yellowish tint. Post-seizure there is hotness in the body and severe thirst.
Kaphaj: The primary dosha is Kapha and it lasts for longer time. The foam is whitish, heaviness in body and cold to touch.
Sannipatik: The primary doshas are, vta, pitta, and Kapha. It has mixed characteristics of all three types of epilepsy.
Yoshapasmara: It is more common to women. It is related to the condition called hysteria.
Treatment of Epilepsy
- Counselling: Guidance helps overcome the depression and anxiety and may also enhance the effects of the medications.
- Panchakarma: Strong detoxification procedures are highly recommended in such cases.
- Vata dosha: The body is cleaned using the enema to balance Vata Dosha. It is aggravated due to stress, lack of sleep and acute mental exertion. It is calmed with the help of medicated oil massage as well as by pouring a stream of oil on the head which calm the mind. Herbs like shankhpushpi, ashwagandha, and Brahmi are used to normalize brain activity.
- Pitta dosha: It is corrected by purgation (virechana). It is usually disturbed due to high heat.
- Kapha dosha: It is corrected by inducing vomiting (Vamana). This is often due to blockage of the nervous system. Tulsi and calamus root are commonly used to treat it.
- Rejuvenation and revitalization through Rasayana therapy reduce the recurrence of attacks.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.