EAT YOUR WAY OUT OF CANCER!
Medikoe Health Expert
Koramangala, bengaluru, karnataka, india, Bengaluru Feb 14, 2017
Cancer is unpredictable; it can happen to anyone, anytime and anywhere. What’s the real cause of it? Well, no one knows. Science predicts that not eating right, obesity smoking, unhealthy lifestyle or anything leading to an inactive life can be the cause of it.
Cancer is a group of diseases which is characterized by uncontrolled, abnormal cell growth/proliferation. These cells have the potential to invade or settle to other parts of the body and disturb the normal body functioning there.
Thankfully, nature has an answer to everything. Eating the right food before, during, and after cancer treatment can make the patient feel better and stronger. Also, there is a particular food that contains anti-cancer properties. They are also known as miracle foods that cure cancer. Let’s have a look!
What are the Top Cancer-Fighting Foods?
Cancer-fighting herbs have antioxidant properties. The bioactive compounds in it have the potential to induce cancer cell death or inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
Herbs and spices are undoubtfully the best lung cancer-fighting foods and breast cancer-fighting foods. Here is a few of them:
- A recent study showed that rosemary is very useful in scavenging the cancer cells.
- When it comes to the struggle against cervical cancer cells, oregano and bay leaf is what you need to incorporate in your diet.
- Clove, eugenol in clove is proven to be a very powerful cytotoxic agent. Its anti-tumour qualities help in fighting different types of cancer cells, especially oesophagal cancer cells.
- The phytochemicals present in black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, curry leaf, cumin, and caper can induce cancer cell death and inhibit the spread of tumour cells.
Other herbs with anticancer properties are:
- Holy basil
We suggest you consult your doctor before using them to avoid any complication.
According to research, deficiency in essential micronutrients such as folic acid, vitamins B6, B12, C, and E, zinc, and iron, can be a possible cause of cancer because these nutrients are crucial for DNA methylation and synthesis.
Consume food rich in these micronutrients, such as:
- Dark Leafy Greens for the folic acid deficiency.
- Avocado for Vitamin B6 and B12 deficiency.
- Fortified breakfast cereals for Vitamin E and C deficiency.
- Beans for Zinc and iron deficiency.
Always go for organic food. Pesticides and herbicide used in industrial farming practices not only cause cancer but other health problems as well.
- Garlic: The organosulfur compounds in it can stop or slow tumour growth.
- Turmeric: The bioactive compound in turmeric protects the body against stomach cancer.
- Whole grains: The dietary fibre, lignans, and polyphenols in it promote the cancer-fighting abilities of your body.
- Bright coloured foods: The anthocyanins in it have cancer-fighting potential.
Food to prevent cancer spreading is:
- Purple grapes
- Red cabbage,
- Red wine
- Red onion
- Kidney beans
- Black beans
Broccoli is one of the most important miracle foods that cure cancer or reduces the risk of cancer, especially be colorectal cancer. It contains a compound that contains sulforaphane, that has been linked, killing the tumour cell and reducing the tumour size in test-tube and animal studies.
So, if you have cancer or not, make cruciferous vegetables, your best friend!
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeast that are good for your health. Probiotic like yoghurt and kimchi (Asian side-dish) and rich in Probiotics and helps in promoting and maintaining a healthy gut.
Not just this, but they are also a potential anti-cancer agent? Research has concluded that probiotics to be effective against cancer, especially of the colon. This is because these good bacteria produce short-chain fatty acids in the colon and acidify it, hence lowering the pH. Lower colon pH levels are related to a lower risk of colon cancer.
Carrot consumption is related to a decreased risk of prostate, lung and stomach cancer. The proper mechanism of this study is not well understood, but we suggest you to try incorporating carrots into your daily diet as a healthy snack or delicious side dish.
We are all a fan of deep-fried food. But want if we tell you that food fried deep in olive oil is going to help you fight cancer? Well, yes!
Some studies show the association between olive oil intake and cancer, but this is a randomized study. Therefore, there is a likelihood of other factors involved here as well. All we can say is, switching oils in your diet for olive oil is a simple yet effective way to take advantage of its health benefits. So go ahead and do it!
What are the Top Cancer-Causing Foods?
Certain food items cause cancers; hence, it is best to stay away from these food items. Given below are a few cancer foods to avoid:
- Artificial sweeteners: Higher sugar diet is directly proportional to the risk of having cancer. Sweeteners such as saccharine, aspartame, and sucralose should be avoided as much as possible because they may generate damaging free radicals in the body. Go for natural sugar!
- Processed meat: The International Agency for Research on Cancer or IARC (cancer agency of the World Health Organization) has pointed out that all processed meat as a carcinogen. A carcinogen is something that causes cancer.
- Over-cooked foods: This is new, but it’s a fact! A recent study conducted in Holland showed that there was a higher risk of endometrial and ovarian cancer in women who consumed foods that contained a lot of acrylamide (more than 40 micrograms/day). Acrylamide is a chemical naturally produced by cooking food at extremely high temperature. Another reason is the presence of additives like nitrites and nitrates used as preservatives in the processed meat (ham, bacon and chorizo) that is strongly associated with an increased risk of bowel and stomach cancer.