- by Dr Riddhi Sanghani Ayur Jagruti Sri Sri Ayurveda clinic
- 1 Shares
- Oct 12 2017
DOES AYURVEDA APPROACH ARTHRITIS?
Arthritis is an inflammatory condition that could involve one or more of your body joints. There are several kinds of arthritis including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. The main symptoms of this condition are pain and stiffness. It is a progressive disease so it may get worse with advancing stage.
It could be caused by normal wear and tear of the joints or the formation of uric acid crystals that cause increased friction between the knee joint structures.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Arthritis
Ayurvedic treatment for arthritis is based on the understanding of the various doshas and humor of the body. As per Ayurveda arthritis is a condition caused due to the aggravation of Vata dosha (air). The body produces ama, a toxin that is released as a by-product of improper digestion. Ama circulates in the body and gets deposited at the sites that have already weakend. So when the data is already stirring up, ama finds the perfect place to build up and so we experience arthritis in fingers and knees.
Ayurveda offers natural remedies for arthritis that are non-invasive and effective without any side effects. These remedies treat the underlying cause of the condition and lubricate joints to improve range of motion.
The main aim of Ayurvedic treatment for arthritis is to balance and stabilize vata in the body. This can be done by strengthening the alimentary canal and the metabolic pathway. It ensures that the circulatory channels are not blocked by impurities and are open and performing well, and that nourishment is delivered to joints.
So to achieve this you may have to drink lots of water and detoxify your body periodically.
• Begin your day with large glass of lukewarm water with lemon juice in it.
• Fenugreek is a natural inhibitor of ama and corrector of ama dosha. Use fenugreek in food or grind them and mix them with mustard oil. Apply this paste on your joints. This will bring warmth and comfort to your joints.
• A hot oil massage of castor oil and sesame seed oil can be very helpful for joints. If joints are very painful, massage them gently. Do not apply pressure in doing massage.
• Mediate for bringing down your stress levels and dealing with anxiety. Stress and anxiety are the major reason for the development of ama.
• Go to bed on time and wake up early in the morning. Disrupting the natural sleep cycle can aggravate all the doshas in the body.
• According to a study by the Journal of the American College of Rheumatology, turmeric roots prevents the onset of rheumatoid arthritis.
• Triphala typically used for improved digestion, is also a beneficial treatment for arthritis, joint pain, muscle ache, and rheumatism.
• A study at the University of Miami concluded that concentrated ginger extract could reduce the pain and stiffness of the knee joints.
Consult an Ayurvedic expert before starting any remedy or treatment.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.