- by Dental Bay
- 2 Shares
- Nov 25 2017
DO YOU HAVE BAD BREATH?
Bad breath is a condition which is medically called halitosis that results in an unpleasant smell coming from the mouth. It also causes dry mouth and forms a coating on the tongue. This condition can be temporary or chronic depending on the reason behind it and is fairly simple and preventable.
What causes bad breath?
- The primary cause of bad breath is the food intake. Certain foods like onions and garlic and beverages like coffee have strong odours that can have a lingering smell which is short-lived. Sometimes food particles get stuck promoting the growth of bacteria and dental plaque which causes bad breath.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco
- Poor oral hygiene
- Health issues like sore throat, tonsils coal and dry mouth
- Mouth infections like cavities and gum diseases
- Morning breath is a common condition because saliva production nearly stops while sleeping
How to prevent bad breath
- Brush regularly and maintain good oral hygiene
- Rinse after meals with a mouthwash
- Have regular dental check-ups
- Quit smoking and tobacco consumption
- Chew gum or mint after food
- Keep the mouth moist by drinking water or chew gum or sugarless candy
If the problem persists, it is advisable that you consult a dentist to figure the cause behind the problem and practice the recommended solution for best results. The dentist will prescribe suitable medication or particular mouth washes that will be effective in the case of chronic halitosis which your regular routine cannot do. The dentist might recommend an Oral Prophylaxis treatment which will clean your teeth and help keep your mouth odour free as it removes plaque and other bacteria that cause bad breath.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.