- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
Diet During Typhoid
Typhoid Fever is an intestinal disorder. A diet plan plays a very important role in recovery, and it strengthens your immune system to fight against bacteria. It is mainly caused by a strain of bacteria known as Salmonella typhi. Gastrointestinal discomforts, low appetite and nausea are very common for typhoid patient. So it is good to take meals at small intervals, it helps your body to keep energetic and make able to fight bacteria. Try to increase protein intake and to avoid food which is high in fat & fibre and eat foods which are easy to digest.
It shows symptoms like high temperature, headache, abdominal pain, constipation, muscle pain, and weakness, loss of appetite and rashes on neck and abdomen.
Typhoid Fever Diet Plan
A perfect diet for typhoid fever is one which has small and frequent meals in it. The meal should contain foods that are high in protein, soft, bland, easily digestible and low in fibre and fat as well.
During first days of Typhoid Diet:
A person suffering from typhoid should take only fruit juice and drink lemon water for few days. The liquid diet is recommended for a few days and then start taking fruits like bananas, watermelons, grapes, and peaches gradually. A patient can also take coconut water, barley water, electrolyte fortified water, fresh fruit juice, vegetable juice, buttermilk, and water. Try to avoid solid food unless you fell starving.
When the appetite gets better, starts taking semi-solid food such as boiled rice, baked potato, soft-boiled or poached eggs, baked apple, yoghurt, vegetable soup.
There are some foods which patients should eat during their recovery time:
- Lemon: take a glass of lukewarm water by mixing one teaspoon of lemon juice because it is good for the digestive system.
- Tomato soup: It is high in calories and easy to digest.
- Buttermilk: It helps to strength your liver and improve digestion.
- Almonds: It increases the flow of blood and helps to regain weight loss due to typhoid.
- Yogurt: It is a good source of protein which improves the immune system and gives strength to fight bacteria.
- Water: You should drink at least six to eight glasses of water every day because typhoid can lead to dehydration.
- Orange juice: It helps to improve the immune system and also help to flush out harmful toxins.
Foods to be avoided during typhoid
Typhoid affects digestive system due to diarrhoea, so it is better to avoid insoluble fibre found in certain foods like skins and seeds of fruits and vegetables.
- Eggs: As it contains fat and could affect your weak digestive system.
- Meat: They contain more carbohydrate and liver needs to produce more bile to digest these foods.
- Spicy food: It is not suitable for digestive system and could make typhoid worst.
- Fried food: It has a very bad effect on the liver and digestive system.
- Clarified butter: It is very tough to digest so avoid eating.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.