- by Bangalore Baptist Hospital
- 0 Shares
- Sep 12 2017
Depression – Causes & Risk factors
Feeling low sometimes is a normal piece of life, however when feelings like misery and hopelessness hold you for long, you might have depression. This feeling of sadness makes it extremely difficult for the person to work & enjoy life like you used to do. Simply passing the day can be overpowering, however, regardless of how miserable you feel, you can show signs of improvement. Know more about depression & try to overcome this problem.
The precise reason is not known what causes depression. Like other mental issues, different variables might be involved, for example:
- Biological differences: Individuals with this issue seem to have physical changes in their brains. The importance or the meaning of these changes is yet not sure, however they might be helpful in pinpointing causes in the long run.
- Brain chemistry: The naturally occurring brain chemicals that possibly perform a part in depression is Neurotransmitters. According to a latest research, the changes in the function & the impact of these neurotransmitters & the way they interact with neuro-circuits involved in keeping up mood stability might perform a critical part in depression & its treatment.
- Hormones: The changes in the hormones in the body can be one of the reasons to trigger depression. Hormone changes can occur because of pregnancy or after the weeks or months of delivery. It is possible from thyroid issues, menopause or various different conditions.
- Inherited attributes: Depression is common in the individuals whose blood relatives are also suffering from this problem. Researchers are trying to find out the genes that might be associated with causing depression.
In spite of the fact that depression might happen just once in your life, individuals might have various episodes & during those episodes, side effects occur mostly daily like:
- Feelings of pity, sorrow, hollowness or misery
- Feeling frustrated, touchy, irritated, dissatisfied & angry even on small issues
- Loss of interest & joy in all the activities which they used to enjoy earlier like – hobbies, sex, sports or games
- Unable to sleep properly or sleeping excessively
- Feeling tired & absence of vitality, so even little work take additional exertion
- Decreased hunger hence weight reduction or increased hunger hence weight gain
- Anxiety, eagerness & disturbance
- Slowed down speech, thinking & even movements
- Feelings of uselessness or blame, focusing on past disappointments or failures
- Trouble in concentrating, thinking, making choices & keeping things remembered
- Often thoughts of death, self-destructive thoughts &, try to suicide
- Unexplained physical issues like cerebral pains or backache
Depression can occur at any age. Large number of ladies are determined to have depression compared to men, however this might be expected partially in light of the fact that ladies will probably look for treatment.
The components that appear to increase the danger of triggering depression are:
- A few personality attributes, for example - low confidence, self-critical, dependency & negative thinking
- Stressful or upsetting events or trauma, for example - physical or sexual abuse, the loss of a friend or a family member, a troublesome relationship or money related issues
- Blood relatives experiencing depression, alcoholism or suicide
- Being a gay, lesbian or bisexual in an unsupportive circumstance
- History of other psychological health issue, for example - anxiety disorder, post- traumatic anxiety issue & eating disorder
- Too much consumption of liquor or recreational drugs
- Serious ailments like stroke, cancer, severe pain or coronary illness
- Certain medicines, for example - hypertension medicines or sleeping pills - always check with your doctor before stopping to have these medicines
Depression is a severe problem that can effect on you & your family. Depression generally becomes worse in case it is not treated properly. It can result in behavioral, emotional & medical issues that influence each part of your life.
The difficulties related with depression are:
- Obesity or excessive weight, which can prompt diabetes & coronary illness
- Physical sickness or pain
- Misuse of alcohol & drugs
- Panic or anxiety disorder & social phobia
- Family conflicts, relationship difficulties, and work or school problems
- Social detachment
- feelings of suicide, trial of suicide or suicide
- Self-injury, for example – cutting yourself
- Premature death from medical issues
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.