- by Dr. Ashok Kumar Selva
- 0 Shares
- Aug 04 2017
Dental Implants: Pros and Cons
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root, surgically placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. Dental implants are a feasible option for those who have lost their tooth or teeth due to injury or other dental disorders.
Before you opt to get dental implants, it is important to understand the pros and cons.
ADVANTAGES OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
There are many advantages of getting dental implants:
- Improved appearance: Dental implants look and feel like your own natural teeth because they are made in a way that they fuse with bone, giving a permanent appearance.
- Better speech: If the dentures don’t fit properly, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words.
- Comfortable: As they become part of you, implants do away with the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating: Sliding dentures can make chewing problematic. Dental implants are designed to function like your own teeth, making eating and chewing comfortable.
- Oral health: Dental implants don't require altering nearby teeth to support the implant. More of your own teeth are left intact, thus improving long-term oral health.
- Durability: With good care, implants remain durable and will last for many years.
- Convenience: You don’t need to go through the fuss of removing dentures or using adhesives to keep the dentures in place.
DISADVANTAGES OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
- Cost: Dental implants are expensive and the initial implant expense may prove costly.
- Surgery: Dental implants are a surgical procedure and like all surgical procedures carry a risk. There is a possibility of swelling or pain after getting a dental implant, which gradually goes away with time.
- Quality: The quality of implants differs depending on your dentist making it important to take the time to find the right dentist for dental implants.
Just as our own natural teeth require oral care and regular dental visits, dental implants are like our own teeth and will require the same care for maximum benefits.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.