- by Spandana Holistic, Ayurvedic clinic and Yoga Center
- 0 Shares
- Dec 07 2017
Common Cold: Causes, Symptoms, And Ayurvedic Treatment
The common cold is a viral infectious disease that affects the upper respiratory system. It is a very common infection which can be caused by many different types of viruses. Though the common cold is generally a harmless condition, it can lead to temporary uneasiness, irritation, fever, etc. which is undesirable. Thus, it is essential to educate oneself about common cold for better management and prevention.
Many viruses can cause a common cold but rhinoviruses are the causing agents in most cases. A common cold virus makes its way into our body through the mouth, eyes or nose. This can spread through droplets in the air after someone coughs or sneezes. The common cold is highly contagious during the first two to three days of illness.
Signs and symptoms of common cold vary from person to person but generally range from:
- Runny or stuffy nose or nasal discharge
- Sore or scratchy throat
- A cough
- Slight body aches or a mild headache
- Low-grade fever
- Generally feeling unwell (malaise)
- Loss of appetite
There is no vaccine as such for common cold prevention. However, you can take some cautionary steps to keep common cold at bay:
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Use tissues while sneezing or coughing.
- Don’t share glasses and utensils with someone who is sick.
- Avoid close contact with people with a cold.
- Eating well and exercising to strengthen the immune system.
COMMON COLD TREATMENT:
Though common cold goes away on its own in a week or two, there are various medicines available for common cold treatment. These over the counter medicines include antihistamines, antibiotics, cough syrups etc. and help alleviate the common cold and fever (caused due to the common cold in some cases). However, most of these medications are associated with side effects and due to this, many people prefer ayurvedic treatment of common cold.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR COMMON COLD:
Ayurveda, the ancient Indian science of healing, lays down that “Pratishyaya” (common cold) is a result of vitiation of dosha and greatly affects the body’s immunity. Ayurveda recommends the following natural medications for common cold treatment:
- MAHASUDARSHANA CHURNA
- VYOSHAADI VATI
- TRIBHUVANA KEERTI
- RASAYANA CHIKITSA LIKE AGASTHYA RASAYANA
- SHADBINDU TAILA
HOME REMEDIES FOR COLD RELIEF:
There are also various home remedies which can help with common cold treatment, without producing any side effects. Some of these remedies are:
- Consuming chicken soup and warm fluids to stay hydrated and help with upper respiratory infections.
- Raw ginger soothes a cough or a sore throat.
- Honey due to its anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties eases sore throat pain.
- Gargling with salt water helps upper respiratory infections.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.