- by Manipal Hospitals
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
Coconut Water During Pregnancy – Myths and Facts
Every one of us is fond of having cool, energizing, and natural coconut water in hot summers to beat the heat. Isn’t it nature’s gift which makes us more refreshing during our stressed out time? Yes, it does. It is a rich natural drink that has many vital nutrients that our body need.
Coconut water is a refreshing drink, rich in electrolytes such as potassium, and magnesium. Its natural sweetness gives no scope for unnatural additives to mingle with it. It revitalizes your body when you are sick.
According to researchers, people who usually have low levels of potassium must drink coconut water regularly. Coconut water has a high concentration of lauric acid and potassium; thus drinking coconut water on a regular basis proves to very effective to regulate blood pressure.
Benefits of Coconut Water
Coconut water is made up of clear liquids inside of coconuts. Make sure that you do not confuse coconut water with coconut milk. Coconut milk is made from the flesh inside the mature coconut and water. It is traditionally used to treat problems like dehydration etc. It is considered to be one of the best alternatives to beverages and is low in calories. Coconut water has many surprising health benefits to offer. Read it further to know the benefits!
- It boosts the immune system
- It fights against dehydration.
- Controls the blood sugar and blood pressure level
- It treats heartburn, constipation, and improves digestive issues.
- Provide relief from joint and scratching pain
- Offers relaxation to nervous system and muscles
- Revitalizes the electrolytes
- Prevent urinary tract infections
- Replenishes the lost fluids.
- Helps you lose weight and makes you fit
Is It Safe to drink Coconut Water during Pregnancy?
Yes, of course. Coconut water is a safe drink that you can take during your pregnancy. Its natural vitamins and minerals make the drink suitable during your pregnancy. When you are in pregnancy, you may get exhausted and dehydrated easily due to physical and psychological changes. It is very important to stay well-hydrated during the period of pregnancy. If you sustain your body well-hydrated, it helps in lessening the fatigue and uneasiness that usually arises during pregnancy, So, for preventing dehydration, vomiting, constipation, and infections coconut water is the best choice to opt for. This is because, coconut water is a natural drink in purest form that provides many healthy, nutritional, and hygienic solutions for rehydration.
Nutritional value for one cup of coconut water:
- Calories – 46
- Sugars – 6.26 grams
- Calcium – 6%
- Dietary fibre – 2.6 grams
- Sodium – 252 micrograms
- Carbohydrates – 8.9 grams
- Potassium – 600 micrograms
Myths and Facts About Coconut Water during Pregnancy
1. Myth: Coconut water makes the baby’s skin fairer and makes the baby look beautiful
Fact: It is good to hear, but it remains just a wish. Exaggerating the benefits does not make them come true. Your baby’s health and skincolor would depend purely on the genetic factor and cannot be altered just by drinking coconut water.
2. Myth: Drinking coconut water makes the baby’s hair grow thicker and stronger
Fact: Well, there is no such relation between the hair growth on the scalp of your baby and drinking coconut water. Your baby’s hair strength and texture purely depend on the genetic factors. Drinking coconut water does not show any impact on hair growth of your baby. It’s just hearsay that was passed from generations.
3. Myth: A pregnant women can get all the required nutrients by drinking coconut water
Fact: On earth, there is no single food that contains all the pack set of nutrients. Although coconut water does have essential nutrients, it alone does not provide all the nutrients required when you are pregnant.
4. Myth: Coconut water causes acidity if consumed during pregnancy
Fact: No, it’s absolutely a myth. Coconut water does not cause acidity during pregnancy, and acidity that you may experience is due to the expansion of the belly that interferes with the digestion process.
5. Myth: Drinking coconut water during pregnancy makes the baby’s head as large as the coconut
Fact: Hilarious! It’s really surprising that people have such myths. But it is nowhere related that drinking coconut water does something to your baby’s head size.
6. Myth: Coconut water can be the best hydrating drink during your pregnancy
Fact: It is surprising to know that neither any of the sports drinks nor the coconut water has the best hydrating properties when compared to drinking water. So, you must have at least eight to twelve glasses of water per day to make yourself keep hydrated.
Tips to Drink Coconut Water during Pregnancy
Drinking coconut water during pregnancy is really very advantageous, but you must also have an idea on how to drink it, so, here are few useful tips:
- A moderate amount of coconut water is not a substitute for drinking water. Both, it does offer you a number of benefits in your body.
- When buying coconut water, remember to choose a clean place to buy and also make sure that the vendor washes his or her hands. Select a tender green coconut.
- Drink the coconut water as soon as it is opened; fresh water is always a hit. Check the water by pouring the water in a glass to know how it looks or drink it with clean straw.
If you are pregnant, drinking coconut water is always a good choice. But, make sure that you do not believe the flop myths related to drinking coconut water. It is just a nutrient-filled hydrating drink that relishes and revitalizes you rather than doing any magical portion. So you must be wise enough to educate your brain saying it not to trust in unworthy myths.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.