- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Apr 27 2018
Brahmacharya: A pillar of Ayurveda
The three pillars that govern life according to Ayurveda are food, sleep and Brahmacharya. It is a Sanskrit word which means abstinence. Brahmacharya or abstinence means to refrain one’s mind and body from indulging in sex and things related to it.
What is Brahmacharya?
It is not just physical abstinence but mental abstinence as well where one not just refrains from having sex but does not indulge in any thoughts or imaginations of sexual desires. This means not indulging in touches, thoughts, chats or visuals of sexual desires.
Why Brahmacharya or abstinence?
It is close to impossible for an individual to practice this at the highest level but one can try at a certain levels based on their own comfort zone and capacity.
According to Ayurveda Ojas is a closely related to Shukra. Ojas is basically the immunity levels in the body and Shukra refers to the hormones, semen and other sex related components.
- So, preserving this Shukra or abstinence means improved immunity
- It has a positive impact on the mind, improving concentration and memory
- It builds one’s character
- Imbibes good values like strengthened character, trustworthiness and reliability
- It is the beginning and a fuel to one’s spiritual journey
- It teaches self-control and courage
- You can couple Brahmacharya with pranayama to keep you relaxed and calm your mind and internal system
It is best to practice Brahmacharya or abstinence whenever possible after marriage for however long it maybe be possible to and teenagers can practice abstaining till the time their body and mind are actually ready for new activities.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.